Saturday, May 8, 2010

Calling for Wind and Rain Saturday

Yes rain and a chill wind today, a little April in May. Last night at around 8:30 pm the power went out. It was a good thing I had settle in for a night of baseball by radio. I have cheap cable, that means no Toronto Blue Jays. It is fine as I would rather listen to the game on radio any way. The radio just seems built for it, same goes for hockey too.
So with no power I lit a candle to push back the dark took out my portable radio and enjoyed a slowed down Friday evening. The game was a good one Jays won in the 12 inning on a three run home run, my team might not go all the way this year but at times I feel I'm looking at a future winner.
It is amazing when the power goes out. Take a looked around the house at all the stuff that stops working. Our society is centred around power it is hard to imagine what life would be like if your under 80 and never lived in rural Canada. I am not going to wax nostalgic about how better life was back before electricity, because it wasn't, for most people anyway. But it is scary how unprepared most of us would be if power was lost for any length of time. We have built a civilization that is so dependent on thousands of things going right all the time with fewer backup systems in place, for the just in case scenario, than we probably should have.
It is too bad that we can't manage a way to integrate the best parts of the "slow world" into our "fast world". Yet. I do think we can solve the worst of our problems. I'm just not sure about how long that will take.

No comments:

Post a Comment